AGES 8-11 YEARS
Free Filmmaking & Animation Workshops
WHAT'S THE NEXT SESSION?
Next up we have our FREE Signal Starters Film-in-a-Week workshops from Wed 20th – Sat 23rd December (Christmas holidays). There are 12 spaces available and young people really get stuck in with stop-motion animation & make their own short animated film, supported by professional mentors and using our easy-to-use, professional animation software to help guide them. No previous experience necessary
- There is a maximum of 12 spaces available.
- Sessions run Wednesday-Saturday, from 10.30am-3.30pm.
- Lunch & refreshments will be provided.
- Successful applications will be confirmed by telephone one week prior.
Part of the TIDAL digital arts project. Click here to find out more.
HOW DOES SIGNAL STARTERS WORK?
Activities always run during school holiday periods.
Our Taster Sessions are a great introduction to stop-motion animation & last a couple of hours. Try model building & using professional software to see if you would like to do more in future.
Our 4-day, Film-in-a-Week course allows young creatives the chance to get stuck in & make a whole short animated film together! Create a story, make & animate models, voice characters & more! Young people will also work to gain an Explore-level Arts Award certificate!
We alternate between these two activities each time we run sessions.
HOW CAN MY CHILD GET A PLACE ON SIGNAL STARTERS IN FUTURE?
We work with the 26 local primary schools across Barrow and South Furness to offer our applications. Incredible teachers there help us identify young people who would really benefit & pass on application forms. Equally, applications are open too. We offer 10 spaces available per taster workshop session & 12 spaces for our Film-in-a-Week courses and priority is given to those in the Barrow area.
Watch the films below made by past signal starters groups!
highlights and accolades
Some of our Signal Starters cohort were also featured on BBC NorthWest Tonight as part of a showcase of Children in Need-funded projects. Watch below to see Behind the Scenes of making our October 2020 Film in a Week animated short ‘The Halloween Party’! You can watch the whole film by clicking the link above.
A number of films made by our Signal Starters have been recognised internationally at film festivals around the world! Here’s just some of the highlights form the last few years!
- ‘The Chameleon Wolf’ (Aug 2022) won the Audience Award at the 2023 Osprey Short Film Competition at Keswick Film Festival
- ‘The Halloween Party’ (Jan 2020) came in 3rd place at the 2021 Anim!Arte awards in the International Student Animation Festival in Brazil
- ‘Dinosaur Ridge’ (Aug 2018) was a Semi-finalist the following year at the Zoom.13 film festival in Slovenia
- ‘The Lost Station’ (Feb 2016) made as a combined heritage project won Best Documentary: 12 and Under at the 2017 Into Film Awards
- ‘The Lost Roar’ (Dec 2016) beat over 3,000 entires to be awarded the clapperboard for Best Children’s Film in International Section at the Zoom.12 Film Festival in Slovenia
WHAT IS SIGNAL STARTERS?
Signal Starters has been providing 8-11 year olds the opportunity to work with film industry professionals to make their own films and animations since 2014!
Participants learn filmmaking through:
- Model-making & Character Development
- Set design
- Stop motion animation techniques
- Sound recording
Supported by professional filmmakers, Signal Starters provides the opportunity to communicate creative ideas, develop new digital skills and form new friendships!
signal starters behind the scenes
- All our staff have safeguarding training & Enhanced-level DBS checks
- Please make sure your applications are made/signed by a parent or legal guardian
- Refreshments are provided on the day so please let us know of any allergies or dietary requirements at the time of application
- Please come in to drop-off and collect your child in person if possible or let us know who will be – see door signs for navigation around Cooke’s Studios
- Please let us know if your child is unable to attend ASAP so we can offer the place to our waiting list
For more information, to apply to our waiting list or if you need support to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org