AGES 8-11 YEARS
Free Filmmaking & Animation Workshops
Applications are now open for our next animation taster sessions in May!
WHAT’S THE NEXT SESSION?
Next up we have our Signal Starters Taster Sessions in May half term. It’s a great way to try out making a short, stop-motion animation segment for the first time! No previous experience necessary.
You can book into a 2-hour taster session at one of the following times:
- Mon 30th May from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Mon 30th May from 1.30pm-3.30pm
- Tue 31st May from 10.30am -12.30pm
- Tue 31st May from 1.30pm -3.30pm
HOW DOES SIGNAL STARTERS WORK?
Activities always run during school holiday periods. Our Taster Sessions allow a mini introduction to stop-motion animation & last a couple of hours. Our 4-day, Film-in-a-Week course allows young creatives the chance to make a whole short film together as a film crew! We alternate between the two each time.
HOW CAN MY CHILD GET A PLACE ON SIGNAL STARTERS IN FUTURE?
We work with the 26 local primary schools across Barrow and South Furness to offer our applications. Incredible teachers there help us identify young people who would really benefit & pass on application forms. We offer 10 spaces available per taster workshop session & 12 spaces for our Film-in-a-Week courses and priority is given to those in the Barrow area.
check out some of the films below made by past signal starters groups!
- All our staff have safeguarding training & Enhanced-level DBS checks
- Please make sure your application is signed by a parent or legal guardian
- Refreshments are provided on the day so please let us know of any allergies or dietary requirements
- Please come in to drop-off and collect your child at Cooke’s Studios & if possible, please consider wearing a mask to keep our more vulnerable staff & participants safe
- Please let us know if your child is unable to attend ASAP so we can offer the place to our waiting list
For more information, to apply to our waiting list or if you need support to apply, please contact email@example.com
highlights and accolades
Some of our Signal Starters cohort were also featured on BBC NorthWest Tonight as part of a showcase of Children in Need-funded projects. Watch below to see Behind the Scenes of making our October 2020 Film in a Week animated short ‘The Halloween Party’! You can watch the whole film by clicking the link above.
A number of films made by our Signal Starters have been recognised internationally at film festivals around the world! Here’s just some of the highlights form the last few years!
- ‘The Halloween Party’ (Jan 2020) came in 3rd place at the 2021 Anim!Arte awards in the International Student Animation Festival in Brazil.
- ‘Dinosaur Ridge’ (Aug 2018) was a Semi-finalist the following year at the Zoom.13 film festival in Slovenia
- ‘The Lost Station’ (Feb 2016) made as a combined heritage project won Best Documentary: 12 and Under at the 2017 Into Film Awards.
- ‘The Lost Roar’ (Dec 2016) beat over 3,000 entires to be awarded the clapperboard for Best Children’s Film in International Section at the Zoom.12 Film Festival in Slovenia!
WHAT IS SIGNAL STARTERS?
Signal Starters has been providing 8-11 year olds the opportunity to work with film industry professionals to make their own films and animations since 2014!
Participants learn filmmaking through:
- Model-making & Character Development
- Set design
- Stop motion animation techniques
- Sound recording
Supported by professional filmmakers, Signal Starters provides the opportunity to communicate creative ideas, develop new digital skills and form new friendships!