This project is BRAND NEW to 2019. An intensive 4-day course (OR you can apply just for 1 or both of the weekend days) and a rare opportunity offering the best entry ways into film and tv; offering to nurture and improve creative skill sets and most importantly offering a ‘leg up’ in one of the UK’s fastest growing and exciting industries. Funded by the industry-led skills body for the UK’s screen industries.
ScreenSkills uses National Lottery funds awarded by the British Film Institute as part of the Future Film Skills programme and this pilot is delivered by Barrow film company Signal Film and Media.
Are you from an underrepresented group and would like to get into the film industry? The screen industries don’t currently reflect the UK population – neither in its workforce nor the content it produces.
We support the BFI’s inclusion strategy and have created this course in response to offer an opportunity to break into the film industry for those who identify as:
- D/deaf and Disabled
All applications will be considered with priority for places given to those from one of the listed groups.
Participants will work in small groups on a number of practical & communal sessions & the project will be run by a diverse group of brilliant tutors and industry ambassadors; giving hands-on practical guidance to start you on your amazing career paths.
The BFI (British Film Institute) have reported an estimated 30,000 new job opportunities will open up in the film & tv industry over the next 5-10 years as the UK produced nearly a quarter of ALL FILMS in the last 15 years!
RUNNER READY will:
- Be practically-based, with mini crews using working examples and real film case studies
- Provide you an understanding of film and tv crew hierarchy structure and entry level roles and the skills needed to fulfil these roles
- Introduce you to essential planning documents like call sheets and filming schedules
- Have professional mentors working in the industry ready to take questions, offer advice and de-mystify routes previously considered hard-to-access
- Involve a trip to MediaCityUK in Manchester, the home to the BBC and ITV production studios where numerous hit shows are filmed
‘‘Film crews can suffer from a lack of ‘set-readiness’ among newer team members so gaining these practical skills from real film crews is vital. We’re excited to provide our participants with professional-level training and to challenge the notion that working in film and tv is just for those who can afford to take the risk.”
Loren Slater is Co-Director of Signal Film and Media & worked recently on 2nd Camera Unit for Bafta-nominated feature & Netflix Original CALIBRE (15)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 8pm on Monday 11th February 2019.
The MediaCityUK trip will take place on Sat 2nd March 2019 & will take in a bespoke BBC Studio Tour. Further details will be sent on confirmation of placement.
PROJECT DATES / SPACES:
- Priority will be given to those with full availability & to diverse applicants
- This initiative is open to everyone across the UK & welcomes candidates outside of London.
- There are 10 spaces available for the full 4-day course (Thur 21st Feb-Sun 24th Feb)
- A further 12 spaces will be made available for that weekend (Sat 23rd + Sun 24th Feb) which will include the Industry Panel day (Sat) and 1:1 Careers Advice day (Sun).
- RUNNER READY is open to anyone aged 17yrs and up and not in full-time education already
- Bursaries for accommodation, travel expenses and child care costs can be made available
RUNNER READY will take place at Signal Film and Media, Cooke’s Studios, 104 Abbey road, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 5QR
Please be aware the trip to MediaCityUK does not fall within the 4-day course dates but on the following Saturday. Participants are welcome to meet us there or join us from the starting point in Barrow.
As part of the funding requirements, successful participants will have contact details securely stored (under GDPR) by SFM & ScreenSkills for progression tracking over the next 3 years after the project has ended
For more information, please call 01229 838592 or email email@example.com