BFI FILM ACADEMY
Free filmmaking Course for 16-19's
Applications have now closed & will reopen mid-2022
Watch the video below to find out more about all the ways being part of the BFI Film Academy can benefit you!
The BFI Film Academy is an intensive short course of practical development programme for young people aged 16-19yrs from the British Film Institute, created to train you in how to make films through professional mentoring!
WHY APPLY IN FUTURE?
- Participants who do the BFI Film Academy find themselves in the roles / careers they want faster
- It’s designed to work around traditional education routes & offers extra UCAS points & vital experience – great for CV’s
- You get a realistic experience of being on set as part of a full crew, supported by experienced professionals
- You get access to so much more opportunities that are ONLY open to BFI Film Academy graduates (specialist courses, professional mentors, workshops, networking opportunities, & more!)
- You’ll make our next (likely award-winning) short film that will be screened around the world
- It’s lots of fun!
BURSARY SUPPORT AVAILABLE!
2021-22 will be the 10th year Signal Film & Media have delivered this programme & it's open to everyone in Cumbria & North Lancashire not already enrolled at university. We're also the only place who does so outside of a major UK city!
What participants have said:
The BFI Film Academy will run predominantly on Tuesdays between October 2021 and January 2022, including a 2-day professionally mentored film shoot over part of the Christmas Holidays. The premiere screening of the film mostly takes place in the Spring.
CHECK OUT THE FILMS MADE BY PREVIOUS BFI FILM ACADEMY STUDENTS BELOW:
Programme of 2021-22 Course Dates*:
Tue 12th Oct: Successful applicants notified
Tue 19th Oct: Course starts / Meet the Mentors / Intro to NCFE qualification (Zoom)
Mon 25th Oct: Screenwriting masterclass / Plan your Story (In person)
Tue 26th Oct: Film Analysis & Criticism (In person)
Tue 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th Nov: (Weekly) Craft & Tech Workshops & Masterclasses with Industry Professionals ( Online & In-person)
Tue 7 & 14th Dec: Pre-production & Rehearsals (Zoom)
Mon 20th + Tue 22nd Dec: Set building, Lighting & shoot prep (optional – in person)
Wed 22nd + Thur 23rd Dec: 2-day Mentored Film Shoot with professional mentors (in-person)
Tue 11th + 18th Jan 2022: Editing Masterclass & NCFE sign off (Zoom)
Feb 2022: Celebration & Screening (Date TBC – in person)
Please be aware course dates are subject to change or extension. There may be optional sessions & 1:1 feedback activities in addition.
DID YOU KNOW:
- A quarter of all films IN THE WORLD produced in 2018 were made in the UK! Combined with our social media habits, the UK’s booming film industry is rapidly growing and desperately needs new talent!
- The BFI expects 30,000 new jobs to be created over the next 5-10 years and wants more diverse voices – especially outside of London!
- There are SO MANY types of jobs available beyond the ones you might guess: from carpenters & electricians to lawyers & promoters!
“Many participants use their BFI Academy experience and references to secure university places and to get jobs in the film industry. Film is one of the big success stories in the British economy at present, and we want to make sure young people from our neck of the woods have a chance to see how it can be a viable and exciting career opportunity.”
– Signal Film & Media
Co-Director, Kerry Kolbe