BFI FILM ACADEMY
Filmmaking Course for 16-19's
Applications have now opened for the 2020-21 cohort intake of BFI Film Academy in Cumbria & North Lancashire!
Please be aware that due to COVID-19, this will now be a mix of online Zoom sessions and in-person workshops that will need to follow social-distancing guidelines.
CLICK ON THE BOXES BELOW TO APPLY NOW! DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 23RD SEPTEMBER!
WHAT IS THE BFI FILM ACADEMY?
The BFI Film Academy is your FIRST step into filmmaking!
It’s a practical development programme for young people aged 16-19yrs from the British Film Institute that was created to train you in how to make films through professional mentoring!
THIS YEAR THE THEME IS ANIMATION!
WHAT DOES THE BFI FILM ACADEMY COURSE INVOLVE?
- Get hands-on filmmaking experience and learn from professional filmmakers and Signal staff to develop practical skills – no previous experience necessary!
- Explore your creativity and passions in a fun, and supportive environment
- Be part of a real film crew to create a short film, and specialise in a role (or more) of your choice!
- Get a cool qualification as part of the course which has come from the film and tv industry.
- Once you have completed the course, you become part of the growing BFI Film Academy alumni network with access to opportunities such as BAFTA mentorships, placements, work experience & other training.
- Bursary support available!
We've now been delivering the British Film Institute's Academy course for 7 years and cover a substantial part of the North-West. We're also the only place who does so outside of a major UK city!
Here's just SOME of the feedback we've had so far:
“I’m still fairly new to this whole gig, so this was an overall incredible experience. With the new people I’ve met, the skills I’ve obtained and just the overall procedure of creating a film has been absolutely joyous to be a part of. I really do hope to do something like this again”
– BFI 2019 Participant
“I was expecting a film that wouldn’t be particularly good, that I would work on for a week. Instead, I got a high production value film that I would work on for months.”
– BFI 2019 Participant
“I did not realise the amount of people from the industry we would get to talk to. This course has decided for me what I want to study at uni. It has given me a solid grounding.”
– BFI 2016 Participant
Watch the video below to check out last years' course!
DID YOU KNOW:
- A quarter of all films IN THE WORLD produced in 2018 were made in the UK! Combined with our social media habits, the UK’s booming film industry is rapidly growing and desperately needs new talent!
- The BFI expects 30,000 new jobs to be created over the next 5-10 years and wants more diverse voices – especially outside of London!
- There are SO MANY types of jobs available beyond the ones you might guess: from carpenters & electricians to lawyers & promoters!
- We’ve a track record for producing professional-level short films with our participants that have gone on to win awards and be screened AROUND THE WORLD.
“Many participants use their BFI Academy experience and references to secure university places and to get jobs in the film industry. Film is one of the big success stories in the British economy at present, and we want to make sure young people from our neck of the woods have a chance to see how it can be a viable and exciting career opportunity.”
– Signal Film & Media
Co-Director, Kerry Kolbe
The BFI Film Academy will run predominantly on Tuesdays between October and January, including over part of the Christmas Holidays. The premiere screening of the film mostly takes place in the Spring of the following year.